Saturday 21 February 2009

0001 of a Thousand Faces

210209

Quick Self Portrait study – prompted by watching some Gnomon DVD’s – Visual Storytelling with Iain McCaig.

One of the lessons he kept returning to in each DVD was the importance of reference, but the kind of referencing which goes beyond the initial gathering and sourcing.

Useful processing of reference material by observational sketching, and emulation so that the reference material has a chance to flow through you on it’s path to the paper.

So I moved the mirror from the adjacent wall to my desk and began doodling in this portrait, attempting to remain fresh and loose.

Light source was an Ikea table lamp cast from my right, additionally there was some natural light from a setting sun being cast from a window from behind me (to the right).

I’d like to do more of these – they’re an invaluable learning aid. And Free.

2 comments :

  1. Nice drawin michael. Are you really gonna draw a 1000 faces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man, I was reminded of this book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces when I was writing the title - thought it might serve as an incentive to continue the practice.

    How's things with you?

    I wish there was a more direct way of replying - I guess I could always comment on your blog, but it seems like skipping ahead in a conversation or something o-0.

    ReplyDelete